X, Y and I.

X: Hey waddup chic? How’s life?

A girl dressed in a low neck top and jeans(Y) gets up from her chair, hugs the other girl in short spaghetti(X). They adjust themselves at the table.

Y: What took u so long?

X: A MotherF***** rammed into ma car. I went back home n drove here in mum’s Swift.

Y: Oh! You called the police?

X: Nope. I got da guy’s numba. Dad’s gonna screw his case.

Y: Ok. So, how’s everything? College and classes?

X: College? Wat’s dat? Bloody professors f*** ma brains ol da time. Same is da case wid da class fellas, total waste of time.

Y: And your guy?

X: Don ask, dat b******’s carryin on wid some oder chic. U know da gal from his gym I told ya about. He doesn’t know dat b**** had 4 guys before him. HAHAHAHA. (Laughs rather mockingly) Chuck it now. Where’s da hookah?

Y: Orange n mint, I asked the guy to get it. Hey where did you get that purse from?

X: Mango! Sale’s on.

Y: B****, you went without me.

X: Went with mum. Got 3 tees, 2 capes n a dress. And yeah, got this purse n a rockin’ pair of boots.

Y: But that’s too much. You got a couple of dresses from Saamsara last week, didn’t ya? Your old man must be pulling his hair out.

X: Not possible, he’s already lost all his hair. HAHAHAHA. Neways, Dolly n guys are going to Prive. She asked me too, you comin?

Y: No re, my dad’s gonna kill me. I reached home last Saturday, all drunk, at 2 a.m.

X: Arrey, so what? Tell him we’re havin a sleepover.

Y: Yeah I’ll try. BTW, here’s the f***** hookah. You’ve got light?

Y removes a cigarette from her purse and X removes a lighter.

Y: You gave up smoke, so where’d you get the lighter from?

X: It’s Abhi’s.

Y: Ohhhhhhhhh, Romeo’s souvenir. HAHAHAHAH

The waiter gets the hookah, and in some time also gets a plate full of French fries.

X: Arrey! You ordered fries? We’ve got Syra’s party comin up.

She blows a few rings with the hookah smoke and Y throws away the cigarette.

Y: Forget it. Don’t look now! That guy in black, sitting diagonally left is staring since long.

X turns around after 5 seconds, looks in the direction that Y mentioned and then turns back.

X: Handsome guy!

Y: Way better than Abhi. You wanna talk to him?

X: Nah, forget. Ma BB’s (BlackBerry) all screwed.

Y: Don’t change the topic, you liked him na?

X: Forget it!

Y: Hey, why you crying? S***, remembered him again?

X: Hmm.

Y: Arrey you’re nuts to cry for him. He left you for that b****.

X wipes a tear. ‘But I love him’.

Y: Gosh, what’s wrong with you? Wait I’ll take a pikcha. Will upload it on FB and tag you. Let people comment. Smile now, come on.

She takes a picture of her trying to smile.

Y: Chal, let’s finish the hookah and go to my place. We’ve got to get ready for Prive.

X adjusts her spaghetti straps and goes to the loo, while Y removes some currency notes and stacks them away under the tissue paper stand. X comes back from the washroom, hugs her friend and they both walk away smiling as guys on the left table stare their backs.





You might be wondering what all this talk is about. This is not a single experience but it is a sum total of the kind of conversations that I have come across in actuality during my recent visits to the so called ‘happening’ places. Thus, I have not named the characters because this chatter is not limited to certain individuals and groups. I have observed this is a common demeanour. Of course the degrees vary from an individual to another; just like there is a difference of behaviour, preferences, way of speaking, and thoughts, between X and Y.

The concerning issue here is that girls and women today behave in the way X and Y have. This is appalling, especially when they come from fine families and are educated in the best schools. The F word has now become an integral part of the lingo. Dating, two timing, smoking, drinking, flirting, not caring about what parents do and think, is quite frequent now. Not that enjoying is crime, but one should exercise caution. No no no, don’t think I am prejudiced; my female friends will vouch for me regarding the same. It is just that I am apprehensive about the Gen X. Then again, not all are the same but majority are detouring, may be because of peer pressure. Rest are alienated with ‘uncool’ and ‘behenji’ tags.

Moms at home remain convinced that their daughters do not indulge in vices of any kind. Fathers who sit in their offices, neck deep among all other tensions think greatly and intensely of their beloved daughters and their future. The harrowing influences of such behaviour on parents can be ghastly. Besides, women of this kind, who are supposed to raise the future generation, shall do no good to their own kids.

I am not trying to preach, but historically, Indian women have always been idols of sanctity and have preserved their grace and dignity. I mean why is that women have transformed, especially Indian women. No doubt we belong to a globalised civilization, and things are rapidly altering, but we men have remained unchanged; we were always dogs and still remain to be (barring a few of course). The problem is women (who according to me possess far more superior qualities and strengths, and are capable of changing men for good) have themselves changed for bad. Thus the future seems murky.

Think over girls, and guys too. Just what I have observed, correct me please if I’m wrong. Wrote this not to show women in a bad light but because I love and respect them, and am too worried.

No comments:

Post a Comment