21 – A Night Of Vivid Experiences

What is a birthday surprise supposed to be like? I know there are not many specific answers to this. Perhaps a surprise visit by some friends with a cake at 12 sharp or maybe a party organised at some uber place. But 2 freaks had something different in store for me. It all took form on the 22nd of January, around 9 in the evening. I was having dinner when my mom got a call and she left the hall in a hush. Normally one would not do something like that unless there is something fishy. For a split second I reminisced the way my cousin had made a swift exit from the dining area of her house into a secluded place. Later I discovered it was her boyfriend who had called. I didn’t want to believe the same was the case with my mother for she has always been a loyal wife. Then it struck me that such irregular behaviour was perhaps a reflection of her planning a surprise for me. So I stopped eating, chased her to the other room but she disconnected the call. After a very heavy Pulav dinner, I decided to go for a walk with my ‘ancient’ pal Ankit. We strolled for more than an hour sharing our day’s experiences and about girls. My mom called, and summoned both of us home. We went and I found a big Rich Truffle lying on the table at 11:30. I didn’t want to think that was ‘the surprise’ she was planning for, cutting the cake half an hour earlier. So, I started looking around in the house for friends presuming they had come down. But there was no one around except for dad and bro. So I humbly cut the cake, they sung the birthday song and I thought that was it. But then, I got a call, from one freak, Vijal Patel. He had planned some game for me and it was to begin at that very instance. He instructed me about the game and I had to find a clue from my drawer and follow whatever was written in it. I didn’t understand what he was talking but just did what he asked to. All this came along with a strict set of instructions.

1. Neither to pick up any calls throughout the game nor to read any messages.

2. Not to take help of my brother and Ankit who were supposed to accompany me.

3. I had 5 lifelines to call Vijal and ask about the clue if I could not find or crack one, as each clue would lead to the next.

So the game had to begin. I removed the 1st clue from the drawer as instructed, read it, touched my parents’ feet and changed my clothes to set out.

Clue 1: Go To The Place You Took Your 1st Breath

I knew at once I had to go to the hospital. So I took my car keys and left with Ankit and my brother. Ankur hospital, the place where I was born, is just a couple of minutes’ drive from my place. So I went there. I searched and searched for the next clue but couldn’t find it. Then I decided to call up. The second freak picked up. Name, Sagar Shah. I asked him about the clue and just as he was about to utter I spotted a placard in a dark shadow of the hospital board.

Clue 2: You learnt A-Z, 1-100

I quickly got into the car and we drove off to my kindergarten, Dreamland School (which is now a bank). A placard was clearly visible on the entrance gate. I could envisage a smaller me running out of the school gate with a little water bottle. After all, this was the 1st and the last institution where I stood 1st , not only in my class but the whole school.

Clue 3: School Begins – History, Geography, Physics, and Math – Study Time

From Kandivali I rushed to Orlem, Malad to my school. This was the hardest place to find the clue. With the huge expanse of St. Anne’s High School, I didn’t know where to start searching for. I decided to go to the back gate. Checked all the trees, walls, the gate itself but couldn’t find the clue anywhere. Then covered the distance of 300 odd metres and went to the front gate. A huge dark ground with a massive church, and a scary cemetery. Where do I find the clue? With the kind of freaks who had staged the game I guessed the clue could even be buried inside a grave. Luckily the gate was open and we got in. I searched around looking in the bushes, on the church notice board and then near the cemetery entrance. Trust me; despite the kind of physical structure I possess, I couldn’t dare enter the cemetery at 12:27 in the night. Luckily I caught sight of the back of a notice board and found another placard.

Clue 4: Sweet 16 – T_A_U_ _O_ _ E _G_

I cracked it the moment I saw it, Thakur College, Kandivali (E). I didn’t want to leave school, my 10 years were right in front of my eyes, all the cries, laughs, exams, friends, playing cricket, seeing the ball in the cemetery in broad daylight and yet hoping someone else and not I will have to fetch it. Yet I had to leave for the present time. I reached college at 12:45 and got the clue rather easily from there. Best friend Afza came to mind, but had to leave again.

Clue 5: Lal Bharti – Fill Your Stomach Here (Translate in English)

So from Kandivali (E) I left for West, to my favourite food joint, Red Indian. I just wanted to grab some food but of course the hotel was shut. Ankit and bhai were also feeling hungry. Got the clue rather easily though.

Clue 6: Pumped Muscles With Bro For The 1st Time

So, I had to go back to my area where I 1st joined the gym with my cousin. Got the clue from there, easily again. A drunkard created some nonsense though. He abused me and asked me if I was Sonia Gandhi’s son to roam in the night, feeling important and looking for clues. I thought, ask the freaks, man.

Clue 7: Enjoy Watching Your Favourite Superstars Almost Every Week Here

So, from Malad (W) to Kandivali (E) to Kandivali (W) I had to now go to Malad Link Road. Phew. Movietime is where I watch most of the movies. It is the best and rather cheap. Some 8 huge dogs were sleeping around in the compound. We 3 had a tough time sneaking in. But I found the clue again, easily.

Clue 8: Cake Shop – E_E_N

Whoa, Malad se seedha Lokhandwala, at Eden’s cake shop. We got us a bottle of water, now assuming that the 2 freaks had planned a long night. Reached there at 1:23 a.m., but the shop was closed. I searched for the clue all around but to no avail. So, finally called up Vijal to use my 1st lifeline. Actually, I was supposed to get the cake (paid for) from the shop along with the clue. But since I reached later than expected, Vijal told me about the next clue.

Clue 9: 23-01-09 You Saw A Millionaire

Last birthday, we had been to Fun Republic to watch Slumdog Millionaire, so I drove up. It was pitch dark and a few couples, holding hands, getting cozy, had just left from the late night show. The clue was stuck on a tree branch. I gathered it.

Clue 10: You Lost Matches Against 3 Top Class Gunners at Chandi Bitchy.

A few weeks back I had been to a beach with Vijal and his friends and his amazing London based cousin, Dupesh. We played football and my team lost. But terming himself as a ‘top class’ Gunner (Arsenal man), Vijal made me cackle. We drove upto Silver beach, Andheri. Now, having been there just once I did not remember the exact location, so struggled finding it, courtesy a few idiots who were as dumb as weasels, showed us the wrong ways. Finally I reached a beach of sorts at 1:45, only to discover it was not Silver beach. Two elderly men sitting in a rickshaw parked there got down and enquired us about the wandering. We assumed they were drunk and did not pay heed. To our horror they were policemen, dressed in civil clothing, tracking us all the way from the moment we entered the area. I told them about the incident with the drunkard and explained the game to them. They amiably helped us with the right way. Thanks to my cute brother, the policemen did not pester us. Felt safe and proud that they were doing their job so vigilantly. We reached the completely deserted and quiet Silver Beach only to discover that we had found the same lane right at the start but I was not certain.

Clue 11: Where You Walked The Ramp

We rushed to Bhaidas hall, Vile Parle, where I had walked the ramp in my 1st year Bachelors with a few others, including Miss India 2009 Parvathy Omanakuttan (she was a final year student back then), for the SVKM festival, U-Wah. (Now come on don’t make me feel important!)I felt the heat, the flashlights, and the stage again, but had to get back to reality.

Clue 12: Where You Got Matured And Met The Best People – Hurray!

Well, if you are wondering which best people, I tell you, Vijal and Sagar were boasting about themselves, and a few other college mates. I reached my Management college (UPG, Parle), and at the gate I spent some time when all the memories of shooting the short film, fooling around with friends, preparing for presentations etc. flashed in front of my eyes at 400 frames/ second. Those were certainly the best days of my life.

Clue 13: You Got Fatter & Fatter Eating Mayonnaise Here

Well, that for a fact is true. The fast food available opposite Bhaidas is like a treat. I searched for the clue in complete darkness, could not find it for 15 minutes, called up Sagar to discover that it must have been ripped off by someone. So, I actually had not used up any hints by then. My bro, Ankit and I had a Mexican Roll from Ice n Rolls at 2:15. Gosh, they earn so much, work so much.

Clue 14: You Bought Your Playstation Discs From Here

Alfa was the place. Vijal and I frequently visited this place to check out the latest titles. I went there and found the placard.

Clue 15: Go To The Most Unique Bachcha’s House

Got it spot on the second I read it. I bet the UPG guys will also get it. It had to be Sagar, freak no.2. So, from Irla, I had to go to Andheri (E). I thought that would be the end of my long night. I reached bachcha’s place at almost 3. Before I could knock or ring the bell, the door flung open with a sleepy maid coming out to hand me another clue. That was some sight. I said sorry and left instantaneously.

Clue 16: Gunners House Welcomes You

That is supposed to be freak no.1’s house at Parle (E). I heaved a sigh of relief and nicely parked my car convinced enough that that was it. To my horror there was the watchman who handed me one more clue. Yes, another clue. It was 3:10 and I was clueless, puzzled about my final destination.

Clue 17: The Person From UPG Whom You Admire – Go To Her House For The Next Clue

UPG people know who she is, and yes she indeed is worth all the admiration, and even more. But this clue was a shocker, simply because 1, I did not know how I would show up at her house at 3:15 in the night, and 2, how she would react to it. By now you know what the freaks are capable of doing. I used my 1st lifeline here since I was unaware about her building’s exact location. Vijal guided me as I drove and luckily they had hidden the clue at her building gate and not in her house.

Clue 18: Certified Best South Indian Food (R.K.)

I had a hunch before but now I was sure there had to be 21 clues. I reached Radha Krishnan at Parle (E) and grabbed the placard from opposite the restaurant.

Clue 19: The Station You Visited For 3 Years – Go And Pick Up Your Next Clue From Its Bridge

Now I had to go to the Parle station bridge. Imagine, 3:30 in the night, and I climbing bridges and searching for a stupid piece of paper. But I did so, rather anxiously.

Clue 20: You Saw Arsenal Vs Manchester United Here And Lost (Nasri It Was)

Okay, I support United. Unfortunately, that evening United lost to the Gunners, and Vijal and his London based cousins took the mickey out of me. This was U-Turn, a lounge of sorts at Khar, yes you read right, Khar(Station). From Parle (E) to Khar (W) station, well that was too much. 3:55 a.m., we reached U-turn. This was the place from where I got the final clue. The poor watchman was waiting for me all the while. He even forgot the name of the person to whom he was supposed to handover the placard. He remembered Rajesh, and I had to correct him. This placard was much bigger, a placard stuck on a huge black card paper. When I unfolded it, it read ….

Clue 21: Someone Is Waiting For You At Mannat

Yes, you guessed it right. King Khan, my lovely favourite Shah Rukh’s Mannat, the final destination. I cherished it when I read. But reaching the final destination was not easy. As they say, when you inch closer to your destination you face bigger tribulations. I don’t remember when and how in half sleep I drove to the Reclamation. Ankit and Nisarg were just laughing at me. We reached Bandstand at 4:45 where I saw a few uncles and aunties jogging around, in their tight track suits, all the flab bulging and bouncing. I parked my car outside Mannat, hoping to see the freaks but could not find them. I called up, Vijal spoke in a sleepy voice and in seconds he got his car there. Sagar and Vijal had gone off to sleep waiting for me to reach. They got down, wished me, hugged me and we chatted for almost 45 minutes. Although there was no cake to cut, we spent some excellent time. We left Bandstand at 5:30.

Wait, it is not over yet. You think it is so simple! Let me talk about the freaks. I called Vijal and Sagar freaks because they actually are, EMOTIONAL freaks, best freaks you can ever meet. They contacted my mom, (remember the hush?), took my brother around for assistance of places they were not familiar with, when I was out for the walk. Made placards and physically went to all the places that I was supposed to go to, made sure the placards were safe. Waited for me at Bandstand expecting I shall be there by 2. Poor guys spent some time at a hookah parlour which they had to leave at around 2:15 because it was closing. Their car tyre got punctured at 3, which they patched up. Were shooed away by the police patrolling Bandstand, waited sitting in the car for almost 2 long hours without having even a bit of food since 7 pm ( almost 10 hours if you’ve got calculation problems). They slept in the car awkwardly; all this for whom and what? To celebrate my birthday! Especially when freak 1 was in dreadful mood the whole day and freak 2 had to prepare and revise for his upcoming exams. Now don’t you think they’re really super duper freaks, lovely freaks, adorable freaks, freaks who plotted the game so meticulously that I could revisit the key points of my life and relive them, freaks who went to all extents and took great pains to bring in their mate’s birthday. I feel very proud when I say they’re my friends, special friends, my god sent pals and I’m lucky to have them around. They were wrong with clue no 12, they are not the best people, but they are outstandingly best, of paramount importance to me. They saw to it that the final destination was at Shah Rukh’s, whom I worship almost as God. Of course they made me feel important, even more than Mrs. Sonia Gandhi’s son (he’d be jealous of me, Rahul, if he reads this). Thus, I dedicate my 21st to Sagar and Vijal. Love you freaks!!!!

Special thanks to my bro and Ankit, who did a great job of accompanying me throughout without a frown. Also, hearty thanks to Richa, Khyati and Bhagwat who made my birthday evening special with their presence. Pictures of the same can be viewed on my Facebook account. Would’ve lovedd to write about it too but as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

No comments:

Post a Comment