An Unlikely Source

It’s been exactly 6 months since my last post. I thought I didn’t write good enough to engage people, and also never found time. But, due to some overwhelming responses that I got of late from some of the unlikeliest sources, I got heavily inspired and encouraged to revive the process of writing. Since this process began from unlikely sources I thought of sharing something that truly relates to an unlikely source.

I had just finished watching Sherlock Holmes, and was looking for a rickshaw to get back home from the highway. A rickshaw stopped by and I got in. Just within half a kilometre’s distance from the cinema hall, an RTO officer fined a bus driver for his disorderliness. That is when my rickshaw man spoke up, about the sincerity of the officer, and the foolishness of the bus driver. Although not a novelty, I got a little surprised though when I heard words like ‘RTO guy’, ‘mistake,’ ‘discipline’ and ‘care’ from him. Well then I thought he hails from a metropolitan where every other being is exposed to an overdose of English all around. So the excitement fizzled. But this guy had something in store for me. He started talking about the system and corruption, and the kind of drastic changes the common man needs to bring within, and what consequences that would have on the society. I was impressed. So, I went on. He asked my occupation and I told him about filmmaking. He enquired about my ‘Academy’ and I told him. He asked me why I did not do an MBA, and I told him. He asked me if I knew about ikfaye. And I was like ‘what?’ He repeated, ‘ICFAI’. And now I was awfully shocked.

A man riding a rickshaw knowing things from diverse quarters and having such a thoughtful mind, was far from what I expected. When I travel by an autorickshaw, I usually look outside, think highly of the nature and things around, observe people and developments, think and reflect on my stories, and yeah also admire beautiful girls either walking or travelling. But surprisingly, today I was barely interested in doing all that. Today, I wanted to talk to the man. When I asked him his name he proudly uttered, ‘Umakant Mishra, writer aur lyricist’. I thought he was just going overboard by the kind of pleasant response I was offering. He recited me something, and considered I would understand it better being a film student. Despite it being in Bihari, and the constant disturbances created by the traffic, I wanted to listen to him just because of his sheer devotion. He hummed and rode. I was totally in awe of him. When I suggested him to make an effort to work more on all that, he said he had already got himself registered with the Writers’ Association in Andheri. I was dumbstruck. I asked him how he managed to do both, and he said he rides from 5 pm to 7 in the morning and the rest of the day writes and recites. I really wanted to hug him for being so dedicated. We exchanged numbers when we reached the destination.

The 35 year old made me feel disgusted about myself in some way. I thought, here is a man, struggling with his life, making a small fortune riding his rickshaw, raising 4 school going children, trying to fight the system and rise out of it and despite doing all this, finding himself time to pen down something each day. And I, on the other hand, go to a film school, get most luxuries one could and still crib about ‘Not Finding Time To Write’. And now you know why I wrote again, got a dose of reality from an Unlikely Source.

P.S.: Pardon me people if my writing isn't upto the mark. It's been a while you see. Haha. Would love to get your honest and straight forward comments. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment